The best solar-powered generator for off-grid living isn’t necessarily the most expensive one. Purchasing a solar-powered generator for an off-grid living requires careful consideration. It’s essential that you know your specific needs so that you can choose the right type of solar-powered generator for your needs. Some people use backup power for emergencies, while others just need a portable unit that can charge their cell phones. Whatever your reasons, there is a solar-powered device for you.
There are several types of solar generators available for home use. The best solar generator is the one that can power key appliances or devices for days at a time. A smaller model can power only key appliances and devices, but a larger one can run several large appliances at once.
Whether you’re going to use it for off-grid living or on a permanent basis, it’s vital to find a high-quality model that meets your needs. The best solar-powered generator will last for several years and require minimal maintenance.
Besides charging your electric devices, a solar generator can also provide power to a whole house. The high capacity of this device will depend on the type of appliance that you’re using it for. If you’re using it only at night, the battery will have a low amount of energy to work with. If you’re a frequent camper, this solar generator can be an ideal camping accessory.
There are a variety of generators in the market. The best ones are solar generators because they do the job of any other generator by using sunlight. They save resources and get the job done.
Table of Contents
What are the benefits of having a solar-powered generator?
- They offer a clean energy source.
Most generators are controlled by petroleum derivatives, and that implies they produce a ton of harmful outflows. Assuming that you need a perfect power source and a negligible ecological impression, these sunlight-based arrangements are the only ticket. They are additionally a lot calmer than conventional gas or diesel generators.
- Cost effective in the long run.
While the underlying price tag of a sun-powered generator might appear to be steep, remember that daylight is free. You don’t need to stress over purchasing fuel or any extra costs related to your sunlight-based unit.
- Multiple power source.
Numerous sunlight-based generators are really across the board convenient power stations implying that they can likewise be charged by power sources other than sun-oriented power. Other than sun-based power, the fundamental power sources are customary AC power from a divider outlet or from a vehicle utilizing the CIG port.
How long does a solar-powered generator last?
Solar generators survive anywhere between a few hundred to a few thousand charging cycles. The solar generator’s battery is the most important component that determines its lifespan. As a result, the life span varies depending on the battery type – lithium-based batteries have a longer life cycle than lead-acid batteries. As a result, generators that are charged and discharged more frequently will have a shorter lifespan.
Another aspect that influences the generator’s lifespan is how you utilize it. There is a sweet spot in terms of charging and discharging percentages, which is probably around 80%. Finally, different companies describe different battery lifecycles, and you must choose the one that best suits your needs and budget.
What to look for when buying a solar powered generator?
- Solar Panel
Monocrystalline solar panels offer the best quality which makes them the priciest. Yielding a 15%-20% efficiency rate, and operating better in high-temperature situations are the two biggest benefits.
- Peak power & Charging speed (charging modes)
Apart from solar panels, a high-quality solar-powered generator should have numerous charging alternatives.
The amount of time it takes to charge with solar energy varies depending on the weather and the amount of light exposure. The power station should be able to be charged directly from an AC source via power outlets as well as from a 12V battery, making it appropriate for RV and camping trips.
- Power rating & surge
One of the first considerations when selecting a solar-powered generator is the surge pure sine wave inverter rating.
This value represents the maximum power capacity that the solar generator system can offer to your loads at any one time. This is most common in motors and refrigerators, which generate an immediate electric current surge that only lasts a few milliseconds.
Many modern solar generators combine usefulness and practicality, effectively allowing you to have your cake and eat it too. In any event, a solar generator is likely to include all of the characteristics you desire. It’s light enough to move from room to room or lift into a vehicle.
- Battery capacity & weight
Another key consideration is the rechargeable battery’s storage capacity, which is measured in watt-hours.
This will tell you how long your tiny appliances (fridges, fans, and mini-coolers) can stay connected or how many times an electronic item can be fully charged.
It will also have an impact on the amount of time it takes to charge the solar-powered generator. Built-in solar panels are uncommon in these types of items, so you’ll need to buy a solar panel in addition to the generator if you want an off-the-grid power supply that’s completely independent of the grid and suited for camping or RVs.
Best Solar Powered Generators of 2022
In this article, I have picked 10 of the best options so you may find the best solar-powered generator for you.
Let’s get started!
1. FlashFish 40800mAh Solar Generator
FlashFish is famous for producing many energy solutions for the great outdoors. Their products are perfect for those of you who like adventures. The reason I chose to write about this generator first is that I am a personal user. So rest assured I can guarantee this is a good choice.
Let’s first get into the specs of the product before I share my experience.
- Weight of generator: 4.08 pounds
- Dimensions are: 14.29 x 13.98 x 6.54 inches
- Battery: 1 Lithium ion battery (included)
- Capacity: 200 wattages/ 110 volts of power
- Colour: Black
- The best feature is that it has many charging ports to offer.
- You have AC, DC as well as USB outputs; 110 AC output (200W), 2 DC output, 2 QC 3.0 quick charge USB port and 1 USB port.
- The LCD display informs you about the battery percentages. It charges using a solar panel, AC wall adapter or a car charger.
- It can charge smart gadgets, laptops, cameras, drones, car appliances and fans.
- It can also charge CPAP machines.
I use this product because it serves me great on my trips. It is also an excellent solar generator for home, provided nothing too large needs to power up. I like how compact it is. It charges my lights, phone, and my laptop very well when I’m camping.
2. FlashFish 60000mAh Portable Power Station
Another one from FlashFish. They have some of the best solar power generators. You already know how great the company is from the description shared above, let’s see this product in detail.
This too like the previous one is a portable generator. It is incredibly lightweight compared to the capacity it offers. It has 350W peak power, 60000mAh battery capacity, and pure sine wave.
- Capacity: 222Wh/60000mAh
- Battery Type: Lithium-ion Battery
- Input: 5.5*2.1mm DC, 15v/4a
- AC Output: 110V,300W (350W peak)
- DC Output: 12V/10A (max)
- USB Outputs (3): 18W QC3.0, 5V/2.4A
- Weight: 5.73 lbs
- Dimensions: 9.76*3.38*5.94 inches
- Metal silver case and plastic black ends make it more durable.
- variety of output ports enabling it to charge up to 9 devices.
- Solar powered battery.
3. MARBERO Portable Solar Generator
This company is famous for producing energy renewing products. That is how it has made a place for itself in this article. Though this particular one isn’t a solar-powered generator for the whole house, it is still very handy.
The MARBERO generator is very popular for camping. I remember I took a trip last year during the pandemic to camp for some time in solitude as per the SOP’s.
A family was at the campsite for a week. I went over to say hi and saw they had this generator with them. The kids wanted their phones charged at all times. They also put it near their tents at night with the light on.
- Battery: 83.25Wh, 7.5Ah / 11.1V, Lithium, built-in.
- Weight: 2.2 pounds.
- Dimensions: 5.7 x 5.6 x 2.7 inches
- Charging adapter: DC 15V/2A (3325mm)
- Solar panel input: DC 10.7V-22V/1.3A Max
- USB Output (2): USB 5-9V/2A
- AC Output: 1x AC 110V/60Hz, 80W
- Bulb type: 1 x super bright LED light
- Has a very bright LED light which is usable for 12 hours when charged.
- Very easy to store and to carry.
- Has QC3.0 & TYPE-C PD to charge phones, laptops, USB devices etc.
4. AIMTOM Power Station
This company is dedicated to meeting its goal of building a better future. Their products aim to give quality and sustainability. You will find many cool and innovative solutions on their website, but for now, let’s keep it focused on this generator.
It can be used to power bigger appliances as well. It is in fact a solar-powered generator for the whole house.
- Dimensions: 7.67×6.73×3.54 inches
- Weight: 3.48 pounds
- Capacity: 155 Watt-hours, 42000mAh
- USB Outputs (3): 5V/2.1A (Max)
- DC Outputs (3): 9~12.6V/10A, (15A Max)
- AC Output: AC100V~120V, 50Hz/60Hz, 100W Rated, 150W Peak
- Battery Type: Lithium-iON
- Input Recharging Adapter: DC15V/2A
- Solar Panel Charging: MPPT 13~24V, up to 2.1A max input
- Battery Capacity Indicator: LED indicators
- Small and quiet.
- Allows use of rechargeable and portable power.
- Has an emergency flashlight.
- Has built-in MPPT controller allowing for optimal setting of voltage using solar energy.
A buddy of mine raves about this generator non-stop. According to him, it is the best solar generator for people who don’t want to carry a lot of weight. He goes camping very often and doesn’t leave without this.
He’s also very cautious about his impact on the environment. His goal is to convert his lifestyle into more sustainable practices. So this solar generator works great for him.
5. NEXPOW Portable Power Station
This sleek-looking power station is another pick I have to show you. Read on ahead to know more about the NEXPOW solar panel generator. People like this one because of the many charging points it comes with. An iPhone 12 can directly be hooked to this baby without any adapter. You will have to purchase a solar panel separately but it does charge really well. You can also charge it by plugging it into your car.
- Dimensions: 8.9×3.1×4.1 inches
- Weight: 1.43 kg
- Battery: Lithium ion (included)
- Capacity: 48000 mAh / 178 Wh
- DC input: 10V-28V / Max 2.5A
- Quick charge USB-C PD 3.0: 5V/9V/12V/15V/20V 3A45W
- AC output: 110V / 60Hz / 120W (max 150W)
- DC output：12V-16.8V / 7A
- USB output (2): 5V / 2.4A 1 x LED light: 2W
- Has 4 recharge mode options.
- has back-up power of 178Wh.
- Multi Charging ports.
- LCD screen to show battery percentage.
6. Soyond Solar Generator
Do you have a long day of outdoor activities planned out? You’re going to love this portable solar-powered generator! Not only is this product extremely cute, but it is also so small and compact that it can be stored very easily. Even a child could carry it with no discomfort. This is a big reason for its good word of mouth. Many people look for small portable generators.
- Dimensions: 7 x 2.75 x 5.3 inches
- Weight: 2.47 pounds
- Capacity: 8000mAh
- DC Input: 6V/0.5A
- DC Output: 4V/2A
- USB Output: 5V/0.5A
- Has digital LED display
- Battery management system for smart battery utility
- 2 Ways of Recharging: Recharged by Ac Wall Charger/Recharged by Soyond Solar Panel (Both Included).
7. BigBlue Solar Generator
Although the company is new, it still is one of the best generator providers. Let’s see why. It can hook up to most electronic devices with no problems. It can even connect with small appliances such as a mini cooler, electric blanket, etc. It has a state-of-the-art battery management system to make sure the generator does not overwork and burn out.
- Dimensions: 8.5×6.7×4.1 inches
- Weight: About 5.07LB
- Capacity: 67500mAh/250Wh
- Battery Type: Original High Quality Lithium ion Batteries
- Input Recharging: DC 15V/2.4A
- Output USB1: 5V/3A, 9V/2A Max
- USB2+USB3+USB4: 5V/3A Max
- DC Output: 9V~12.6V/10A Max
- AC Output: 120V
- LED screen that shows battery.
- Can power up to 7 devices at the same time.
- Can charge using AC wall charge.
8. Progeny 300W Portable Power Station
This neat little generator also features a wireless charger! It serves as a portable solar generator for houses as well as for offices. It has a capacity of 299Wh and also comes with a backup battery which makes it quite an easy choice for your outdoor camping needs.
- Dimensions: 14 x 8 x 5.6 inches
- Weight: 7 pounds.
- Capacity: 299Wh/80818mAh
- Battery: 30 Lithium ion batteries (included)
- AC Output: 110V 300W
- DC Output: 12V/10A/120W
- Comes with a CPAP backup battery.
- Compact and portable.
- Wireless charger on top.
9. ECO-WORTHY 84Wh Portable Power Station
Whenever your power is down, this generator will come to the rescue! Read on ahead to know more about this product. It is one of the best products to be taken for outdoor activities such as travel, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, expedition, etc. They also offer a 90 day trial period within which if you don’t like the product you can return it.
- Dimensions: 6.3 x 4.2 x 6.9 inches.
- Weight: 5.72 pounds.
- Battery: 2 Lithium ion batteries (included)
- Solar Panel: 4V/18W solar panel with 10 feet/3M extension cable.
- External lamp: 6W *3 LED lamps with individual switches.
- Built in Lamp: 1200 Lumens full brightness 32 hours; 600 lumens half brightness 64 hours.
- DC output: 3.2V
- USB Output: 5V/2A
- Provides light in the dark.
- Charges phones and other devices.
- Displays charging status.
- Comes with a Solar Panel.
10. ROCKPALS 250-Watt Portable Generator
As you can tell by the name, this company is focused on the great outdoors. They design products suited for adventurous trips. If you compare it to similar generators, this one has upgraded the AC output to 250W continuous (300W surge max) dual AC outputs, built-in 2x USB 2.1A, and 4x DC 12V ( 60W ) ports.
- 250 Running Watts/ 300 Surge Watts
- Large Capacity: 60Ah, 3.7V/ 222 Wh; 12V 18.5Ah
- Battery: High Quality Lithium Polymer Batteries.
- Weight: 5.5 lbs
- Dimensions: 10 x 4 x 6 inches.
- Input Recharging: DC 15V/ 4.0A
- Surge and short circuit protection
- Temperature control, overcharge protection
- Pure Sine Wave AC power
- Variety of powering options.
- Solar generators are convenient power stations that utilize energy of the sun, rather than petroleum derivatives to make power.
- Solar generators comprise of four primary components: the solar charger, battery, the inverter, and the solar regulator.
- A few vitals benefits of solar powered generators are that they don’t need fuel, they run on clean sustainable power, and they require next to no support.
- The greatest downside to solar powered generators are that they require a major fortnight venture, they re-energise gradually, and there is a restricted measure of force put away and accessible for you to utilize.
If you have completed the article, I assume you have your pick. Solar-powered generators are perfect for the outdoors. They help the environment and they help you.
Next time you plan an adventure that will take you off the grid, you don’t have to worry. Just pack your trusted solar panel generator and go where the winds take you!